Monday, 21 January 2013

2013 Resolutions



Happy (snowy) 2013! I'm a little late with wishing everyone a Happy New Year and / or writing up a generic New Years Resolutions post - for no other reason than I'm massively disorganized and a little lazy (no point in pretending otherwise) I know everyone writes one of these but I suppose it's for my own posterity as much as anything. I'm totally determined to keep some resolutions this year!
                                                            
1. Read more books - I used to be a total book worm & I really want to get back into it. I've invested in a kindle & I'm already onto my second book of the new year. I've completely fallen in love with Mary Roach's books and writing style. Any book recommendations you have would be appreciated

2. Buy a new piece of art each month - This one is definitely my favourite. I own nowhere NEAR enough art & it is basically the best excuse I've ever had to buy more. Awesome.

3. Be kinder to myself - I am my own worst enemy quite a lot of the time & I know I'm far too tough on myself. I'm not one for getting overly personal on here (I suddenly become very aware that literally anyone can read this and I get a bit freaked out) but I suffer from a quite badly from phobia (a proper phobia, not a "omgz I'm like totes phobic of..." phobia) A proper, full-on, panic attack, restrictive phobia that is totally NOT COOL and I have decided that 2013 is the year that I try and overcome and get help. Does anyone else have any tips on helping anxiety or phobias? It would be very welcome!

4. Be more positive - So, while I'm on a personal roll - 2012 wasn't the greatest for me work wise. Towards the end of the year I got a little bit depressed about it and took a bit of a break in the last month to recharge (which ended up with a good thing - I was down with flu for a week and a half!) So this year I'm forgetting my worries as it has literally, got me nowhere. No money? At least I've got a roof over my head and I can (just about) afford to heat the flat, I've got a good computer, a phone & wifi. I also have a blender so I can live on amazing homemade soup. Life is good, right? YES QUITE.

5. Take my camera out more - I really need to get back to taking it wherever I go like I used to - I've become a bit too reliant on my phone & Instagram. It's definitely time to get back to my camera & flickr!

Do you make New Years Resolutions? Do you keep them?! I'm going to see how long I can keep these for!

Steph xo

3 comments:

Fathima K said...

I'm totally with you on 1, 4 and 6! (i think you left out poor ol' number 5, haha ;)
I'm a major bookworm, but I find I've read all the books that catch my eye in the local library. I love period books and stories that take me away, and love actual physical old books, so I collect pre-loved classics and am making my way through all that I buy.
I naturally tend to fall more easily on the side of moroseness and Eeyore-ness, so with my blog I try to force myself to focus on happiness. I want to be more active in that this year.
I do already take my camera everywhere I go, but I just need to actually take more pics, and record stuff on the blog, both for fun and interest and for taking stock of my week and being aware of all the good that happened and the moments I enjoyed (which goes back to the previous point).

Best of luck with keeping yours, you can totally do it! :)

Steph Says Hello said...

Oops, I did miss out 5 didn't I? It can't have been an important one then ;)

I'm the same with my camera really - I think I'm too fussy when it comes to photographs as well, it has to be "perfect" - I need to stop being so picky and start taking & blogging pictures more for me, than anyone else :)

Best of luck with your resolutions too :)

Nicole said...

You've got a good set of resolutions, there! I've never made any before this year so I'm keeping mine secret until the end of the year when I assess what I've got done, but actually putting them up publicly might make me even more adamant about getting them done due to the increased sense of accountability?? hmm..
Anyway, Read more books is actually one of mine too! And 3 and 4 are ones I could especially learn to do more often. I was actually led to your blog via a retweet of your recent "Stay Positive" post which was very inspiring. I find it really refreshing when people cut away the bullshit veil of pretending everything's butterflies and rainbows, and admits it's sometimes hard (without being whiny!) but resolves to stay as positive as they can. That post felt honest in that kind of way and I appreciate your sharing that because sometimes it's just what someone else needs to hear to pick themselves up too.
I'm not quite halfway through my list of 'tick-off-ables' yet but my hope is that ongoing resolutions (about changing my attitude/frame of mind/routines/etc) will become habit and continue after the year is finished.. I hope you fulfil your resolutions too!

Post a Comment